Sunday, October 23, 2011

Public Map Gallery for San Mateo County

This week I finish a 6-month work assignment with the San Mateo County (Calif.) GIS Team.  I wrote about this assignment back in March, just before I started.

My task was to use free resources ArcGIS Online to make SMC geodatabase layers available to the public.  Supporting tasks were:
  • Improve metadata authoring workflows to better support web map services.
  • Publish all county geodatabase map layers that can be released to the public, as map services.
  • Publish a geodata portal.
  • Publish a map gallery that uses the county map services.
[ The complete task description is here . ]

The idea was to see if we could deliver geodata and maps over the Web at very low cost and without professional software developers.  (I'm not a programmer.)

I'll post the link to the map gallery next week, after we get the okay from the county.  I'll say more about metadata, map services, and geoportal in the next posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment